Sunday, September 7, 2008

Feeling funny, and it's not the medicine

I am really starting to get nervous about tomorrow. I know it's safe and the procedure has been done so many times that I bet my surgeon can do it with his eyes closed, (let's hope he doesn't), but I am so one of those "what if" people. Here are my "what if's". What if I don't wake up, being a big one, what if I have a bad reaction to the medicine, what if it appears that I am asleep but, I really am awake and can feel everything! Seriously, these are just a few of my concerns. This really has been a blessing because it has reminded me how very important it is to keep your body healthy. Not just for yourself, but for those darling, be it sometimes annoying children of yours that you are in charge of. I am so close to writing them all letters tonight just in case something goes wrong tomorrow. Okay, changing the subject.
Let's talk football because, let's face it....it's my favorite sport. Right? Wrong!
Here's just another reason why. Yesterday Bren had another game. He fumbled the ball a couple of times and the reaction of the 7, yes 7 coaches was disturbing. Not just the shaking of heads and mumbles to each other of what a disappointment his playing was this game oh no, they continued to call him a mama and daddy's boy in front of his team mates and so on because Brennan walked over to us after being embarrassed about the fumble. Shane and I were sitting right behind the coaches and watched the whole thing. The icing on the cake was when Brennan walked over with tears in his eyes because one of the coaches used the F word to describe how if the kids see the other teams players in front of them, "F*** em up". Whoa nelly! I talked to the head coach after the game about this and how we don't use that language around our kids and I was basically scoffed at. My question is.....what now?? Brennan doesn't want to play anymore because his coaches are mean. Apparently every time they mess up at practice, such as running outside a cone etc, they run a lap (size of a high school track). Brennan runs an average of 5 at each practice. Practices by the way are 3 days a week for 2 hours. The kids in his division are anywhere from 7-9 and do full on tackle football. A child in a higher level, 11 years old was hurt on Saturday after a tackle and was rushed to the hospital because of a suspected spinal injury.
I know.....these are things that I should have considered early on, and did, but Brennan's passion outweighed the risks. Honestly, it is ridiculous watching these grown man act as if they are coaching a professional team. They are trying to relive their old football days. These are children, not men. There was one mom cheering on the kids that I swear could have been right out of a SNL skit. She was screaming and tough faced and I nearly peed my pants laughing so hard. Who are these people fooling anyways??
My question to you my faithful readers is this....do I pull him out like he wants or will I be teaching him that quitting is okay?? Any advice would be so very welcome.
Stay tuned for post surgery blogs. I imagine they will go something like this....
afdaf went lkafjd well aaf on good pain adfkl;;af meds. Oooh, soal;dfjkafa good.

Ciao!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I would vote for pulling him. Of course, I would have voted for never playing football in the first place, so my vote may be a bit biased.

Good luck tomorrow! Hey, at the very least, enjoy being drugged and having no responsibilities for a day. :-)

Jenny said...

I second that vote!

Call me when you're feeling better and we'll talk about it.