Monday, September 1, 2008

Blackberries and cream

Nathan and Myron are in the same class at church and for their class party, they were invited to the Bill Point outdoor pool today. Here are my boys with a couple of the silliest, sweetest and coolest kids I know. My kids are in good company.
While the boys were at their party. My friend and I took our younger ones over to Point Blakely to pick berries and go down to the beach. The berries are so small this year, it really was a lot of work to get enough for all of us. Mae loved the berries and didn't even care if they weren't ripe all the way. She was so cute walking across the field. Every three steps or so, she'd fall down because of the tall grass and little humps in the ground, but she kept on getting back up and trying again. That's my girl. I cut her bangs last night. I started at her eyebrows but as you can see, they ended up quite higher than that because of her wiggling.


I need to go back and take a better photo of this peek a boo spot. We walked straight from the blackberry field to this spot. I didn't dare let Mae down in the mud. I didn't have a change of clothes and her shoes were the little leather ones that soak through to the socks when wet.
Here we are at last. Blackberries and cream. Thank you Cade for reminding me of how good this is. We had to add quite a bit of sugar because the berries were pretty sour. I remember one of my favorite things at my grandma's house was rasperries and cream. Canned raspberries. Yum.
Speaking of yum, I came up with a great quick dish last night that the kids and hubby loved.
Grilled chicken on a corn tortilla with mango, avocado, pepper salsa. They loved it and it was so easy.
Take chicken and broil. Would be better if marinated in olive oil, lime salt for 30 min before grilling.
Cube the chicken or shred it, whatever
Fry your corn tortillas for only about 20 seconds each side
Wrap chicken in tortilla and top with salsa and sour cream.

Salsa-
cut up 1 avocado, 1 mango, 1/2 a red onion, 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/2 a chopped red pepper, 1 large tomato, squeeze some lime, salt and pepper, garlic (I used 2 tbsp of jarred) and a little fresh jalepeno.
It is amazing, light and healthy.
Try it and tell me what you think!
Ciao

No comments: