Monday, January 11, 2010

Family Home Evening with friends

In our religion (LDS) one of the things that we do is have a weekly Family Home Evening. This takes place every Monday. Here is a proper definition I found on the net.
"Family Home Evening (FHE) or Family Night, in the context of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, refers to one evening per week, usually Monday, that families are encouraged to spend together in study, prayer and other wholesome activities."
I can't think of another religion that does this, but I can't imagine NOT doing it. I mean of course, we get busy and forget from time to time, but for the most part, we do this every Monday night.
Sometimes families join together which makes for an extra special night. This is one way that we as members become so very close to each other. We truly are all one big family.
Tonight we had FHE with two families. The Bells and The Rehders. Both have known me since I was a little girl and it is always so fun to get together and reminisce. The Rehders were in our ward in Wasilla, AK when we first moved there. I was 5. When we moved to Washington, they came to visit, fell in love and moved out here as well. When we moved to the Island, they followed 4 years later. They were very close friends with my parents and still are. The Bells moved to the Island as a young young couple with two little kids and a baby on the way. Tom was my sunday school teacher and Mary was my young womens leader. I babysat for them and grew very close with their family as a teenager.
I love this about my church. I have always and will always feel that I have so many sets of aunts and uncles here. It makes the loss of my mother seem a little easier.
Ps- Just because you may not be LDS doesn't mean you can't have a family night of your own!
It also doesn't mean you can't join in on one of ours. We'd love to have you over.

Pps- That is for any of you delurkers that aren't "de freaky".

No comments: