Monday, January 4, 2010

Family Home Evening and goals for 2010

Today was a near perfect day. Near because...perfect would have been if I was up by 8 and had ran today, but I'll take what I can get. I have never before been so excited about my New Year resolutions. I have so many, and so do the kids. One great idea/tradition that Rylan wanted to start is an antipasto night on Mondays. This means that I don't have to cook and we can eat lots of little yummies. I had just went to CM yesterday to stock up on said goodies and this is what we had tonight.
French Baguettes with triple cream brie, smoked salmon or salame, mozarella and tomato salad, and a plate of fresh fruit. It was a big hit and I was so happy to not have to cook. So...a new tradition it is. We'd love to have any of you over for one of these nights. Especially since we have been working like crazy to get our home in the condition it was when it was first built.
On to FHE. I bought each of the kids a cheap notebook and put their name on it.
Instead of my random grab a friend or new era lessons (if they are lucky), Shane came up with a great idea to do our lessons on the next weeks lessons at church. That way we have a week to ponder them and maybe even have a head start and commenting on something for once. Maybe even get an answer or two correct! Our lesson tonight was on the creation. It was so short, that we added in some scripture reading which happened to be one of the things mentioned in our lesson as a way to become closer to god, which by the way, I was forbidden to say (see lesson to see how hard that way). After hearing Mae repeat "Oh my G*D" from a movie, we have adametly told her how that is a bad phrase. So, tonight, every time I mentioned God in a sentence she reprimended me in a very stern face/voice.
Anyhow....as we were doing our lesson, I had the kids take out their notebooks/journals and date and title it " The Creation". They listed the ways to become closer to the G man and then we listed ways as a family that we can work on this. Then they had 10 minutes of their own time to write their thoughts or their own personal goals.
One of our biggest goals is kneeling down to pray. It is so easy to just lie in bed, or wherever and pray a rehearsed, said a million times, prayer, but to really get down on your knees shows your respect and love. I felt the spirit so strong tonight. I am excited to incorporate these new goals in our lives.
My own goals are as follows - RUN RUN RUN
READ READ READ scriptures
Go to bed early (well before midnight)
Wake up early and get dressed
Be more present in life
The rest are more personal. I'll spare you.

I hope you are all having an amazing year. I feel like this one is going down in the records.
Much love to you all!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start....I always love the beginning of a New Year. It's full of possibilities. Here's to a great 2010!