Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Dear Abby,

I cannot believe that my boys are already having this conversation with me. As we speak, Myron is instant messaging me on Facebook from the other room, begging to go on a date on Friday night with a girl that has asked him. What?! It's not just Myron. Just this week, Nathan had a girlfriend
and broke up with her. Here is what is funny. Nathan broke up with this little cutie patootie (friends daughter) and gave permission to Myron to like her. I feel like I am on a Jerry Springer show. I had to explain to Myron that no...we do not date our brothers ex girlfriends, no matter how innocent it was. I asked Nathan why he broke up with this, his very first "girlfriend" and his reply was, " I think it was the holy ghost telling me that I am not ready". He didn't feel comfortable with it. Are you buying it? I'm not sure I am. So my question to you is....
With the obvious age being 16 to "date....date". Is there a grey area where they can go with friends that are girls, can go in a group, can go if mom is there.....etc?
With all the girls calling/emailing etc. I think I need to get this figured out quick.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Isn't it fun?! NOT!!! Fortunately, Nate didn't push the issue, and still hasn't gone on a real date even though he's now 16. We've let Kylie go to movies with a mixed group of friends, but never one on one with a boy or even "double dating". She knows she has to wait til 16 for that. I still feel more comfortable if a parent goes with the group, but it kind of depends on which kids are going. For sure you have to make a rule and stick to it! Good luck!

Corey said...

Oh no, so not looking forward to that at all. Especially with my girl crazy 4 year old. Hopefully his obsession wears off or I'm in real trouble. I agree with Jenny, groups are best before 16 and a parent too. Remember being a teenager? I had my first boyfriend before I was 16 though, luckily he lived all the way up in PA so we hardly saw each other, it was really just a summer fling. Didn't date other than that in high school. I guess I was way too into my horse to notice boys much. So I guess that's my advice, get them so interested in some sport or activity that they just don't have time to think about the opposite sex. Good luck!

Kate said...

Well, unfortunately all my boys are incredibly into sports so....that is out the door! I like the group idea. I told Myron today at dinner that if I go...he can go. Guess what he picked?