Friday, September 11, 2009

Thoughts on grandparents

I wish I had a scanner to upload photos of my grandparents. I grew up in a very LDS household. My family on each side of my mothers goes back so far, it would take too long to mention.
Tonight I am thinking of my grandparents on my mothers side. I dream of their house in Idaho on the farm, nearly every night. This was the one constant place in my life, no matter where we lived.
My mother was a child there, we all gathered there on Sundays and every other night it seemed.
Grandma and Grandpa had 8 living children and each had children of their own. This amounted to 8 aunts and uncles and over 35 cousins. We were all extremely close. Grandpa was a farmer and had over 300 acres of land in addition to his dairy farm. He woke at the crack of dawn to Grandma cooking him breakfast and came home at lunch. He was gentle, loving, silly and had such a testimony of the church. When I was little, I would always sleep right in between grandma and grandpa in their bed. I remember always being so amazed that as soon as gpa hit his pillow, he was sleeping. Gma would say prayers, knelt next to her bed that would take in excess of 10 minutes.
I used to think " she must be praying about EVERYTHIng........trees included". All of the family lived at the farthest.....30 miles away and as close as right up the farm road. I ache for these moments. The stillness of the country air, the smell of grandmas cooking, the laughter of cousins playing on the front lawn and mothers/sisters/cousins sharing memories. Grandpa would take us on tractor rides, dance with us at night to old music and grandma would tell stories to us at night. I would fall asleep on our first night there on my grandmas chest listening to her voice through her chest. We would play Miss America on the hay stacks while grandpa would be milking the cows. Far away are the times when family was such a constant love in my life.
We all get older, we separate.....what an emptiness to remember and not forget.

No comments: