Monday, September 27, 2010

Mom....can you help me with my homework?


Um....nope. Not this mom and dad. Sure, we don't have college degrees, but at some point in my childrens life, I'd like to think I have enough wits to do basic math, reading etc.
Um...nope again. Tonight was no exception.
Forget Language Arts, where Myron is learning antonyms, synonyms, etc.
Did you know that the word "unanimous" is an adjective? Well, I should have known that, but
I was seriously torn between a noun and a verb...WHAT? I mean, it is an action, so I thought verb. Luckily the minute amount of wits I have left reminded me of that long lost word...adjective.
Tricky tricky.
Don't get me started on math! I can't even help my 1st grader with this new..."write out how you got to this conclusion" nonsense. Although, if they would have taught me that at his age, I might have a better grasp of mathematics.
Myron tonight is working on a story problem (my favorite). Garrett has been given money each year on his birthday by his uncle Tom and aunt Linda. Myron has drawn a graph and come to his conclusions about how much that amounts to etc.
THEN they throw in the "twist". How much did he make off of Uncle Fred and Aunt Wilma.
WHAT?! Where the He%* did Fred and Wilma come from?? No where, but here we are, really hating those flinstones, as we help Myron finish his torture/homework.
We'll be here all night!

2 comments:

Elke said...

Hey Butlers. Writing out math in words is English homework, not math. And that's how I feel about that. I'm a physics major, math minor, and I can't stand "new" math. So don't put yourself down for being confused by it. Nice work on the adjective. Keep up the good work. It'll all pay off.

Kate said...

Thanks Elke!!