Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Community gardening on Manzanita

Ps- Above is "Patrick Star" from Spongebob. I would have added it at the end, but since I still can't get the photos to move, this is impossible. Rylan insisted that I include this.
I am so lucky. A woman who owns the farm next to Bainbridge Island farms has opened a community garden in her enormous unused pasture. So far 12 families have staked out their plots and we were so happy to be allowed to join in. We already know three of the families, so it works out so nicely. Here's what we discovered yesterday.
Said gardens are exactly 1 mile from our home. That's NOTHING! It was an awesome walk with hubby and the kids yesterday. We left at 10am and returned at 3.
Some photos of what the walk looks like from my house to the farm. I know.....I have to pinch myself sometimes.
After raking and raking, here is my handsome man pictured above.
The photo below is now one of my favorites. Rylan is in the background near the sand box (circle).
Rylan had so much fun getting to stomp around where ever he liked.
The next awesome surprise was that just down from the farm, is a secluded beach that I had never known about. Not only is it a beach, it is a GREAT beach!! The tide was out, it was sunny, sandy and wonderful. Starfish had washed ashore, sand dollars were everywhere and the kids were filled with wonder. I cannot believe that I missed out on this place for so many years. Honestly though, there are so many places like this all over the Island.
Rylan going down to the beach via these beautiful old stairs.
Mae's first time holding a starfish. She didn't want to let him go.
Watching a hermit crab try to make it back to the water.
Mae's feet.

Mae loves flowers.

So that was yesterday, today, I woke up bright and early again and headed straight for the garden. Nonny, N, L and H met us there for lunch and Les , K and D met us as well. It was a beautiful day. Brennan stayed home today and between L and Brennan, they dug up a whole row. L is so knowledgable about gardening. H and Rylan had fun raking their own rows. Nonny ended up taking the girls home with her. Mae would not stay with me.
I cannot believe how much we have accomplished in two days.
That's all for now.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

How exciting! What are you planting? I'd love to come with you and see it, and the secret beach, sometime. Is it a public access beach, or just something you happened upon?

Kind of funny, the word verification this time is "hudgiest". Let's make up a good definition for that one!

Erin said...

Yea! I think I have the garden plot right next to yours. Kate and I worked on it a bit on Saturday, but we still have plenty of more work left to do. What are you going to plant? I have a rather non-green thumb so I am hoping for the best.