Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Car wreck on Sunrise



I arrived at this accident scene seconds after it happened. I had just left Rylan with Nonny and was heading out to visit teach. I didn't even think about it and jumped out of the van to run over to make sure the person in the car was okay. Normally I am a panicked person about blood, accidents etc, but for some reason, I was calm and collected. I left Mae in the car when I ran (it wasn't far) and a fellow Islander with a child Mae's age, grabbed her and took her to her house just a few doors down from the accident, so that I could help. I crawled down to the passenger side of the car and sat with the 70 year old woman until the paramedics/firefighters etc. arrived.
She just wanted me to hold her hand. The photo above shows where I was sitting. Right where the firefighters are. . I had left Nonny's twice and gone back because I had forgotten something. Either that, or I narrowly avoided an accident. I guess it's how you want to look at it. She was meeting her daughter and had gone right through a stop sign. Not being familiar with the Island, she thought she could go right through.I feel that I was really supposed to be there for this woman. A large bus smacked right into her. It could have been much worse. She was airlifted to Harborview and I haven't heard, but I am sure she is fine. I made sure she kept as still as possible. The sad news is that she was up here visiting the family of Kyle Melby, a little boy that just passed away two weeks ago.
Never a boring day huh?

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow Katie! Way to be a good Samaritan. I hope someone like you comes along if that ever happens to my grandma.

(Of course, if it's me in the wrecked car, don't take pictures & post about on your blog, K?)
:-)

Jenny said...

You're right, never a dull moment with you! You are always so willing to help and get involved.