Monday, November 29, 2010

FHE- How much is your worth?

Starting tonight, I will be sharing our Family Home Evening ideas on Mondays.
We just finished with a great lesson that Shane prepared. The kids played a "Price is Right" game. Shane made a list of items or expenses that we pay for and had the kids write down what they thought it cost. The child that came closest to the actual price without going over got 5 points. It was interesting to see what the kids thought about how much home insurance, electric bills, a pair of socks etc. costs. Rylan actually won! After the game, Shane talked about how much it costs to run a family.
Then the kids had a morse code quote that they had to decode to translate the following scripture from D&C 18:10 " Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of god". While they were busy with the morse code, I dressed up as a stranger and slipped outside. I knocked on the door and Shane answered and I introduced myself as a neighbor and begged to buy one of his children. No amount of money would be accepted and I went back out. The point was to show the kids how priceless they are to us. Mae started crying when I went outside and didn't get the whole skit at all. She was very upset and gave me her 3 quarters. She said with tears in her eyes " Here you go mommy, take my money and I'll stay with you". So sweet!
Afterwards we decorated Christmas cookies. I am really feeling the Christmas spirit this year and am loving our cozy home with all the fun decorations.


Disclaimer- All FHE activities tonight were from the great book "Fun for family night".

1 comment:

Jenny said...

What a great idea! I don't think my kids have any idea how much it takes to provide all the things they take for granted. I'm going to have to try this some time soon!