Sunday, May 22, 2011

Chopstix

On Friday, a bunch of close friends and I went to Seattle to Chopstix, a dueling Piano bar up near Belltown. Jenni (in the pink) is moving next month AND just turned 40 a couple of weeks ago, so it was her night-weekend. Summer (far right) and I took the 8:10 over and the 12:15 home. Just a quick trip. All the other 10 or so women spent the night together in a ritzy hotel downtown and were planning on waking in the morning to shop and brunch. The piano bar was OK. I really wanted to go dancing, but Jen was really set on this piano bar.
(Taken from their website) Here is a description:

"On stage we feature 2 A-list piano players/singers who sit at 2 baby grand pianos facing each other. What they play is entirely up to you, the audience. You bring up your request accompanied by a tip for the pianists ($5 is usually the minimum standard). The songs are played in order of “how much love (aka tip)” is on them. For example, a $20 song will always be played before a $5 song. The “duel” comes from the audience. If you don't like a particular song we're playing, you can stop the song for $1 more than it was originally requested for, and we'll even play a different song to your liking if you prefer. But if a song is stopped and you really wanted to hear it, we'll start it up again for $1 more than it was stopped for!

The show is highly interactive and driven by the audience. Singing along and clapping ARE A MUST."

So....if you know me at all, you know that everything in my life has to be FAIR. It really irked me that someone would pay 5.00 to hear a song (what?!, I KNOW) and then if someone didn't like it, all they had to do was pay more to cancel that one out and play theirs. What a giant waste of money! Needless to say, I never paid a cent to hear any songs. They were all kinda (pretty much) L-A-M-E. Eagles, Shania Twain, 80's music...blah blah. BUT....I had a helluva time with my friends. They are fun, crazy, sweet, loyal and dear to me, AND I am the baby of the bunch, which doesn't hurt.

Above- Elise, moi, Jenni and Summer.
Below- Jenni on the piano being serenaded for her belated birthday and upcoming move.
It was fun. Summer made sure I didn't continue on with everyone else to the dance club. I fought it, but knew I had to get up early to run a garage sale for a client. Oh well, next time.

No comments: