Friday, August 22, 2008

La Befana is a go!



My wonderfully creative cousin, Steph and her friends started a bazaar in Utah fittingly called "Beehive Bazaar", (see link under "blogs I enjoy"). After looking at all of the items, I realized how great something like that would be here. I know we have "Christmas in the country" and the Christmas house, but what about a handmade bazaar? For those of you not familiar with the Island, about 60 percent of the island residents are either artists in some form, or writers, with a few actors here and there. The other 39%, lawyers, doctors, computer people, and the last 1%? Me! Mind, you these are not factual numbers, just my opinion of the Island. I have never been in a place so richly littered with artists in such a small area. My good friend Chantal and I have decided to start the "La Befana bazaar" this year and already have over 10 artists ready and excited to show their goods. La Befana is an Italian witch that would fly around on her broomstick and throw presents down to the children. I king of like "Bobbo Bazaar" Bobbo means Santa in Italian. Chantal is a beautiful painter and designer so I can't wait to see what she comes up with for the poster/logo.
Now it is just booking a place. I really wanted to book the Island center hall or the historic Seabold church, but surprise surprise, it's booked, even this far in advance! Today I will call the Commons and the Grange to see if they are open and book our spot. So far, here are our artists.

Laurie Sharp- writer and designer of wool pets ( www.woolpets.com)
Blackberry honey from local hive farmer
A great purse designer from Seattle (www.idealbunny.etsy.com)
Jewelry designed by Carrissa Barbee and hand created by women in a village in Mexico
Purses by Peggy Maracich
Organic and free range clothing by Naomi Spinak
Hand painted childrens furniture by Chantal Kollodge
Felt foods and patchwork birthday flags - me
Vintage childrens clothing - Susan Swolgaard
Soaps in lavendar and citrus by- Linda Snyder
handmade earrings by various people
cards and more! It is going to be great and I am super excited. Thank you to my cousin for the great idea.
I don't have much to report about this week. Chantal's birthday was Wednesday and a group of us went to Mora's for ice cream and then attempted to watch a movie at the theater, but ended up going back to Chantal's to do that. I went home. Yaddi yadda. Here's a couple of photo of Bren and Mae.
Ciao for now!




-

No comments: