Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Camping trip - Day 3- La Push

Since we moved back to Washington (11 years ago) I have wanted to take the kids and Shane to the coast. Shane hails from California, so he is used to some fantastic beaches, so I knew he'd love La Push. I, myself, have only been once as a child with my own family. Seeing as we were just 45 minutes from La Push, we decided to spend our third day there.

It was a perfect day for the beach. Sunny, clear and a soft breeze. On the way to La Push, we stopped to get gas. For those of you that do not know the Forks area, it is in the sticks. Heaven knows why Stephanie Meyer chose this little town for her Twilight series saga. I grew up visiting Forks for church events. Less than 5, but I remember. Hicks to the extreme. So..back to the gas station. It was as back woods as you can get. I walked in to the owner/teller giving fellow customer ( Bart) a hard time for not quitting smoking. Another customer came in and said hello to them both and then joined in. Everyone knows everyone. After paying for our gas, I asked for directions to La Push. All three gave us the most confusing directions I have ever heard, BUT....love that they ALL followed us out to the gas pump to show us how it works if you jiggle the pump cord and push the red start button a certain way. Definitely made my day. I love people like that. So full of character and sense of themselves.
We were advised by the three men to stop at a little cafe on the way to the beach. I can't remember the name of it, but it was spotted quickly and then collective groans were heard all around. It was a Twilight themed cafe. Ugh. My kids can't stand Twilight or anything to do with it. I enjoyed the films, but not the books. Anyhow....the food was INCREDIBLE and very cheap.
Nevermind that the entire place was filled with Twilight paraphernalia and weird blood type menu concoctions. I loved it. Not enough to take a photo, but it was great.
We hit the beach and had a great time. As you can see in the photos, Shane was right at home.
Fat and happy....that's us!

Watch the video to get a little taste of La Push. Make sure you watch until the end, there is a funny little something in there for ya!

No comments: