Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Vintage Strawberry Shortcake~ Swoon


The above photo would have been MUCH cuter, but my husband made me crop, and crop and CROP so you couldn't see his special whities. FYI, at the bottom of the photo is an immense pile of dolls and clothing. I just adore the expression on Mae's face. Sheer delightment with her daddy. I love my husband...swoon...On to the story..



As Mae gets older, it is harder and harder to find sweet, modest, educational toys. I played with Barbies until I was about 13 and although, they were lots of fun, I find myself not ready to allow her to play with them. Not only does it make me cringe that they are plasticy fakeness, in all areas of Barbidom, but she doesn't represent a "typical" body type and is all about fashion and romance. Anyhow...not an ideal role model for a young girl. Bring in Strawberry Shortcake. I played with these in kindergarten and just adored them. It doesn't hurt that they have some really adorable vintage childrens books with good morals about Strawberry Shortcake herself.
I went on Ebay and won about 5 of these little sweet girls for under 20$. Mae just adores them. Sure, they are plastic, but I figure since they are so modest and sweet, I can overlook that fact.
She enjoys taking their clothes off more than putting them on and this is yet another reason why I am so happy that she does not have a Barbie at this point in life.

She insists that daddy and I play dolls with her all the time and we are more than happy to oblige. We sure adore this whole little girl phase and encourage every little bit of role playing.
Look below to see some great close ups of these sweet dolls that encourage imaginative play.
Did you ever have one yourself? What were your favorite dolls growing up?

1 comment:

Laser Pegs said...

If you are looking for unique educational toys, then laser pegs is the right place for you. We present a world of educational toys, educational soft toys and cheap educational toys.