Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

Happy Independence day to everyone! The above photo is all I am going to see of fireworks this year. Some brilliant person planned the boys scout camp the day after the 4th so...that means, the kids have to be in bed, well, now so that they can get up at 4:30am to leave. I haven't heard any complaints yet. That might be because we have been downtown for three straight days celebrating. The perks of owning a business downtown really make themselves known during holidays such as the 4th. Friday, many people were clamoring to find red white and blue items. I was thankful to have many bright felt colorful flowers for the women and little flags for the kids. Saturday, the street fair began at 5pm and I stayed open until 10pm. I held hula hoop contests and gave out prizes. It was pretty fun. Our little Island is so safe, that the kids were able to go off on their own with their friends and come back to check in from time to time. Today, we headed into town around noon and hung out in front of the store (right on main street) to watch the parade and join in the festivities. I have spent maybe 3 (out of 22)years attending the parade and 0 years attending the street dance and other events. We are always in Idaho at my dads and it never really feels the same without my family around. Our favorite 4th by far was the one that we thought would be ruined by the approaching lightning storm. The Idaho skies were deep black and wide open so that we could see the lightning touching down all across the valley. My dad lives in a canyon, so we could see it up on the ridge as well. I was totally freaked out, but my little sisters and kids ran around on my dads big lawn, dancing and seemingly "electrified" by all the energy. It truly was beautiful although very frightening for me. My dad assured me we were safe.
The above photo, is obviously over water, but these were the kinds of strike downs were witnessed for over 2 hours. Natures fireworks if you will.
So, there you have it. Happy 4th to all of you and happy summer....(fingers crossed for good weather). Next week, camping trip with friends.....stay tuned.

No comments: