Thursday, April 22, 2010

Moms quilt

The quilt photographed above has been hanging at the UW medical center in Seattle for over 17 years along with a plaque that quotes a poem that I wrote for her. I have thought about this quilt ever since it was hung. Women in our Bainbridge Island ward (and Poulsbo) each sewed a square to add to the quilt. I have been told that when this quilt was presented to her she wrapped it all around her and cried. She loved this quilt and after her death, the hospital wanted to put up a memorial for her. She was a treasured and much loved patient. I finally made it over to the hospital to check on it a few weeks ago. I was on the wrong floor and didn't see it. I left my name and number at the nurses station and a few days later, one of the nurses on the correct floor gave me a call. She offered the quilt to me and I am over the moon excited to finally have something of hers. My dad has never given anything to me that belonged to her, which has been very hard for me. So...until I have room for it, it will be hung at either the church or my best friends house. It is lovely, I encourage those of you that live here to come by and look at it up close. A lot of love went into making it.
xo

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm so glad you get to have it. I'm looking forward to seeing it again!