Monday, February 2, 2009

School and bro's






I love my eldest son. He is a wonderful, creative, talented young man. This year has been very difficult for him academically and so after much deliberation, we pulled him out of his large middle school and put him into a very....very small one. It is still a public school, so it is free, but after today, I am beginning to wonder if we made the right decision. Some of you may recall this same sort of situation with the next son in line. It is such a hard decision. When I went to pick Nathan up, I got to see him in class with the rest of the 7th and 8th graders. There are about 25 kids in both classes and they are together. I saw a lot of kids that were.....um...."alternative" in disposition and outward appearances. Not what I thought this school was about. I later received a call from an old friend that mentioned that a child had left the school the previous school year because of kids that were "cutting". N's first day was today, so I am not in too deep, but I have such a hard time doing this. I really feel great about the teachers and principal, but I don't want my child picking up bad habits or worse. It's like when a kid goes to jail. You know that kid comes out with new tricks and worse off than when he went in. So, I am off to another school tomorrow. A private school. No...not Waldorf this time. N's old BFF goes to this school and although they are pricey, I hear they have scholarship programs and maybe I can work it off at the school or something. I was offered a cabbie job tonight from my friends that own Bainbridge Taxi. I am contemplating this job. What do you all think? So many of you view this blog and never comment. Did you know that you dont have to have a google account to comment?
Drop me a line once in a while. I'd love some feedback on these topics.
On a lighter note, I shot some great photos of Mae and her brothers. She is so lucky to be so loved. They are always asking for me to take photos of her with them. I love these photos.
Hope this finds everyone safe, warm and happy.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Such a hard decision. I don't know much about Odyssey or Eagle Harbor High, but always assumed they were equivalent to the "Strawberry" of our day. Although the younger grades of Odyssey don't seem to be that way. By cutting, I'm assuming you mean self-mutilation and not skipping class? I'm so not with-it! The only advice I can give is to PRAY and listen hard for the answers. About your kids and about the job.

Kate said...

Thanks Jenny. Such good advice.
I agree, it feels like the Strawberry of our day. I am pulling him.

Brooke said...

My favorite picture is the 2nd one, with Nathan kissing Mae, and she has this look of, "Yes, I know you love me. Of course you do. Who wouldn't?" :-)

Call me today. I've also had friends pull their kids from Odyssey for similar reasons. Their middle school is not a good place to be right now.

Corey said...

I had to laugh about the Taxi job, because don't you do this already and just don't get paid for it? Being a mom gives you great chauffer experience! I hope everything works out for you and your boys. Schools are so tough. In so many ways it would be nice to just home school, but I know I wouldn't be able to handle it. I need my break from the kids and mine are only 3 1/2 and 1 1/2! I'm scared for when they reach middle school age. It's such a hard time for any kid!

Blair said...

When I was in middle school, I was not so wild about the thought of being at Woodward and my parents couldn't afford private school. I ended up working out an arrangement where I left early each day, and spent the time doing other things (parks and rec classes, etc.). I am not sure how it was arranged, but ask my mom about it at church and maybe she can tell you more. Middle school is a tough time for most everyone and I think it is good of you to explore as many options as possible.

Kate said...

Thanks Blair. I will ask her. :)

Jenny said...

Katie i don't know if you really want him there. From what i know the kids that were so bad that they got kicked out of woodward go there, but hey there has to be some good people too.

Kylie

Kate said...

Thanks Ky. I think we'll keep him in for the rest of the year and then put him in Hyla next year. I appreciate your feedback. I agree with what you said. I wish I would have posted this sooner!

grandma said...

Hi Kids This is Grandma I am now following your blog,just learning how The dark headed boy is that Myron well it's a toss up between your dad and his uncle John when they were young. That may is so darn cute,My kids are trying to get together my 3 girs and see if some time this summer they can bring me up for about 4 days so I could seeyou and my grand children. I love you.I will find pictures of Ray and John when they were young and let you see. Ive got to get these kids names with the right body so I know which one Im talking about. Love you so much Grandma Parker

Jill said...

Hi Kate -

I don't know much about the schools here so I won't be of much help. I think the taxi job is a great idea. I think you would be terrific at it!