Thursday, January 6, 2011

Quick dinner idea- Bean taquitos and cherry empanadas.

I love to cook. This we all know. Tonight I was able to make a really fun, kid helping friendly, vegetarian dish that took about 15 minutes to make. One taquito is pretty filling so I cut one in half for Rylan and Mae to share. I use the tortillas from our local Central Market because they are fresh made every day and when fried, they take on a very chewy, texture which really compliments the crispy ness.
I also added some chips for my guacamole because the kids love it and it is a great way to get in those extra nutrients. Guacamole is chalk full of veggies.
Here's how to do it.
Take a tortilla ( can be bagged, unless you are a food snob like me)
Add beans, refried or whole.
Add cheese. Sometimes I like to add cream cheese, chicken and chives.
Fry in hot oil for about 3-5 minutes. DONE!
Add your favorite garnishes and that's it.
For dessert....roll some canned cherry pie filling into the tortilla, fry
and serve with whipped cream and cinnamon. Yummy!

I was really thankful for this quick meal tonight because Myron let me know that he had a pedigree chart that is due TOMORROW!!
After a few hours......this is what we came up with. It was fun to spend that special time with him.


Last night, our Faith in God girls worked on their own family trees, so it helped that it was on my mind. Goodnight!





No comments: