Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The best white bread recipe



Baking bread has become a daily experience because of this amazing recipe I found in my "Joy of Cooking" book. It is quick and easy and the bread is just like grandma used to make.


Quick Rising White Bread

Combine in a large mixing bowl or in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer ( I didn't use a mixer, just my hands) and let stand until the yeast is dissolved (give it a little stir), about 5 minutes.
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm (105-110 degrees) water

Add:
3 cups bread flour
2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
Mix by hand or on low speed for 1 minute. Gradually add 1/2 cup at a time until the dough is moist but not sticky. (I could only get 2 cups in)
3 to 3 and a half cups bread flour
Knead for about 10 minutes by hand ( I did 5) or with the dough hook on low to medium speed until the dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and turn it over once to coat and then cover and let rise until doubled. Usually an hour.
Punch down dough on a floured surface and either divide into two loaves, or hand push it out and cut out circle shapes for rolls. Cover and let rise again for another hour until doubled.
Preheat oven to 350 and cook for about 20 minutes or so. Just until lightly brown on top.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I think I'm going to try your recipe today. I love that you let your kids get up on the counter and help!