Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!

There is nothing more magical to a little girl (in my family) than decorating for a special event.
I remember the excitement of fun holidays as my mother and I would spend time together making holidays and other events, special. My mother started a tradition when I was a child that we would have a fancy Valentines dinner every year. We always looked forward to it.
I have done this every year since Shane and I have been married. This year was extra fun because Mae was so excited to help out.The loves of my life. I'll have to share their fun, sweet cards on another post.

Who is this, you say, posing for a photo?? That's right! It's Rylan!! I didn't even question it. I just snapped away.
The table. I was pretty disappointed that I didn't have a white tablecloth. Oh well, the kids loved it and that's all that matters.
First course.....two salads with the same dressing. Spring salad and a mozzarella, tomato, basil mix. All dressed with balsamic vinaigrette and honey.
Second course, appetizer, lobster claws with lemon butter. Rylan and Mae didn't care for it, but the rest of us were more than happy to eat theirs. Yum!
3rd and main course. Filet mignon topped with dungeness crab, fingerling potatoes roasted with garlic and olive oil, topped with sour cream and chives, and cold green beans with olive oil, garlic and lemon.
4th and dessert course. Homemade angel cake topped with strawberries and blackberries.
Oh and whipped cream.
My best story of the night is that I had scheduled dinner for 6pm. After spending a while preparing, the kids came home hungry and we all decided that we were too excited to wait. I served dinner at 4ish pm and we finished by 5. We had FHE early and the kitchen clean by 5:30.
Right then....wouldn't you know it, the power went out!! How lucky were we??
We then spent the rest of the dark night reading, playing games and cuddling to stay warm.
Well, most of the cuddling was done by me and my Shaney. Swoon. Hey..that's what Valentines Day is for!
Happy Valentines to all of you!!

No comments: