Monday, August 11, 2014

Kellen William Machante Fisher

 Kellen came into our lives July 19th at 3:40 am just 2 short hours after I arrived at the hospital.
I had planned a home, water birth but, after being diagnosed with gestational diabetes in my 8th month, it wasn't an option anymore. I was devastated but, reminded myself that the end result would be the same, a sweet, healthy baby. The last trimester was spent being shuffled around from doctor to doctor because I was high risk. The cord was wrapped around his neck, they feared he would be too big to deliver because of my weight gain, I tested positive for group B strep, and so on.  Because I tested positive for group b strep, I was advised to get into the hospital as soon as I could, so that they could administer the antibiotics immediately to prevent Kellen from getting the virus. This meant that I ended up going in a couple of times before I was REALLY in labor. Ugh. The day I went into labor, I went in with contractions and was sent home at a 3.5...I was frustrated and tired and thought he'd never come. In the back of my mind, I was scared that they were right, I was having a giant baby and a C section was imminent.
 At midnight, my contractions were getting painful again. Josh was worried about missing work, so I was a yo yo of emotions. Do I go in? Do I stay home...will they go away? Will I get to the hospital in time? Luckily my body showed me that I was dilating (bloody show) and we rushed to the hospital.
 When we arrived, I was informed by the nurse that I was a 3. I couldn't believe it. I used the restroom and my water broke. Woo hoo I thought. I got into the bed and the contractions came hard, with no break in between. 15 minutes later, I was a 5. I knew I was in transition, I was vomiting and shaking uncontrollably. I felt pressure. They checked me again. I was at a 7, the nurse asked for a 2nd and third opinion from the other nurses, 7 and then an 8. I thought, I can DO THIS! Josh was an amazing coach.
So supportive. So i DID this for another 20 minutes, I felt pressure, the Dr. on call came in....bless her heart, she checked me and said I was at a 3.......WHAT?!?!?!?! The nurses all looked at each other.
Josh and I panicked. If I was at a 3 and the contractions were THIS bad....I was done for! I lost it....
I begged for the epidural. The epidural was administered but guess what.....the anesthesiologist did not do it right....NEW MACHINES. Luckily he didn't because.....guess who made his appearance just 20 minutes later after 3 pushes.......
This guy.....

 Obviously the Dr. was wrong. Im in the process of writing a scathing letter to this Dr. by the way.
And guess what......no giant baby. No cord around his neck....
Welcome Kellen William Machante Fisher to the world....
7lbs 8 oz....20 inches long....beautiful, healthy, wonderful.

 We are in love.....simply, utterly, in love. We cannot get enough of him. He is so sweet. What a lucky baby.












1 comment:

Brooke said...

Congrats!!! He is SO precious! I can't wait to meet him, when you feel up to having visitors.